The 80/20 Rule

I’m definitely an 80/20 person. I believe nutrition is 80% of the program and exercise is 20%. I eat good 80% of the time and the other 20% I eat whatever I want. For me 80% is mental and emotional, and the remaining 20% is physical.


I’ve said for 30 years you cannot work off the weight. You must learn to eat it off. Those who place more emphasis on exercise than nutrition tend to get frustrated with the lack of results. For example, if you work out vigorously for 2 hours a day, 6 days a week yet pay little to no attention to nutrition, your body composition won’t change much. However, if you work out 3 times a week for 45 minutes each session and are diligent with meal prep, quality food and proper portions yields dramatic results.


I love to eat clean. However, I don’t want to be handcuffed to having to worry about every morsel of food I eat. I find giving myself permission to eat whatever I want makes me less inclined to feel deprived, and as a result eating clean 80% of the time allows me to look and feel great physically and mentally.


Working out regularly will always be a part of my life. Like most people I have many learned behavior and emotional limitations that I’ve placed upon myself. When we say negative things about ourselves, what we are doing is creating barriers we will never climb over. The bottom line is you will only achieve results as high as your own self-esteem. Therefore, I work on clearing these negative thoughts more than I do exercising my body.


There you have it – the 80/20 rule.


Kind regards,



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don't put this off any longer. Allow us to partner with you in your quest to shed pounds and lose inches. Let's make 2021 your best year ever!!!